Pink is my colour today. I've pinked my twitter avatar, I've pinked my facebook profile pic, I'm wearing a pink shirt and yes, I'm wearing pink bra/knickers... I'm also going to be eating Musk sticks.
There's been a groundswell of activity on Twitter due to Carol Duncan and SeraphimSP who began a campaign to raise awareness for breast cancer and breast self examinations using the hashtag #feelthemupfriday. So many people have turned their avatars pink, some have added a blue element because it affects men as well. Not only in the indirect sense that a woman they love may be diagnosed with breast cancer but also because men get it too. Breast tissue is not exclusive to women, it's not exclusive to older women, and cancer is not discriminating when it comes to who it affects. Young, old, male, female, good, bad, lovely, mean, compassionate, uncaring, active, couch potato, robust, delicate... it matters not to cancer and so it should matter not when it comes to breast checks. Check yours, check your partners, go to the Doctor or a breast clinic if you're unsure of how to check for yourself, you can also check the Breast Cancer site here.
You can read Carol Duncan's article about #feelthemupfriday here and this post by Missea is why I am eating musk sticks. You should too !
I love what you have said, and how you've said it.
ReplyDeleteI'm of to eat my musk lollies too now x
Thank you Nomie :)
ReplyDeleteSerious stuff there Kallie. Sorry I missed your post when It first came out. Breast Cancer awareness should be as, if not more, important to a woman's mate than it is to the woman. That's that little bit of extra love that we men need to learn how to share. There NEEDS to be a high profile MALE voice speaking to husbands and boyfriends about this issue as well! I personally want to run for office!
ReplyDeletePresident of the Society for the Preservation of Breasts!
p.s. What's a "musk stick"?
Thanks soodenim :) Get you campaign happening and I'll support you :)
ReplyDeleteA musk stick is a candy stick flavoured with musk and coloured pink :) http://www.ollieslollies.com.au/images/Musk.jpg