Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The unmentionable...

It's my birthday today. I'm 47. Time, I think, to start counting backwards to be sure I avoid the big Five Ooooohhhhhh.

Many of my birthdays have been average, even sad. My Eighteenth was the day I found out I was pregnant, my twenty first came only two months after my eldest son died. My Thirtieth was a massive joke. Husband was supposed to take me out for dinner but he couldn't leave work (as in he couldn't and still can't relinquish control) and then one of the drivers from the company he worked for managed to "invite" himself to stay the night in our spare room and intended to come to dinner with us. This was a nice enough man but he was not a scintillating conversationalist and he was not who I wanted around on my birthday. In the end my husband sent this driver and another employee over to our place to have dinner with me while he worked. We had pizza... It sucked...



My fortieth was largely ignored. My gorgeous daughter was four (nearly five) and so not up to organizing much and my husband really never organizes much in the way of celebrations. For my forty fifth I arranged to celebrate with some friends. We had a BBQ at a friends house, really just a get-together for playgroup but my birthday got celebrated as well. It was a good birthday.

This year was a great birthday. My first as a single woman. I've been with my husband since I was seventeen. Thirty years with him, all my adult life. The idea of being single may have been a little scary at first but it's been nine months since I asked him to move out and it's been a good nine months. I didn't expect him to organize the kids to celebrate my birthday. I knew my daughter would ask for help if she needed it and I hoped he would help her if she did. My gorgeous girl sorted out dinner and "desert". She made choc chip muffins and chocolate fudge brownies to use as a cake. She arranged for A (husband, ex to be? perhaps, not sure) to bring chinese over for dinner. She wouldn't tell me what was happening, only that I didn't need to organize dinner. I stressed about that... she's really not a cook so I wanted to help her but she refused all offers... I coped (sort of lol). In the end the chinese was good, had better, had many worse. The muffins were ummm not good, she forgot to add the egg and they were just not good. The fudge brownies were good :) The presents were the BEST.

I love to read so I got two books.


I got a voucher for a massage




I got cuddles from my two wonderful children


 I'm wearing the ribbons they wrapped my gifts in just to make them laugh :)

And this box you can see above and here :




Came with a note that says "Inside this box O and I have put our love, lots of  kisses and hugs, Lots of love  J & O"

This is the best present I've ever been given. I have my own box full of kisses and love to use as I need. It can be refilled when it needs more and it will never ever be completely empty.

What more could I ever want?

8 comments:

  1. Awwwww, what a wonderful birthday! About time you had a special one!! Happy birthday....again! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Thea :) Even though I haven't heard from most of my 'family' including my parents this is the best birthday ever. Who needs them when I have kids like this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very sweet - I love the box of kisses-
    hope you had a great Birthday x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ali :) I've had a great day and the box of kisses & love is something I will treasure forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday wonderful friend!!! What a gorgeous gift - a box full of love. We all need one of those.

    And hey, you're a pisces, like me. Of course, I should have known!!
    Many happy returns of the day. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jayne :) Every one should have a special box like that for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post. Those moments mean more than anything. How lovely. You will have that box forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will Annie :) Right now it sits above my desk where I can see it anytime I'm in the kitchen or family room. It's among the things I treasure most :) My children are what I treasure most of all :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I love to know who's been reading and what you thought :)